Visit our Online Flea Market!

April 23, 2015

There aren't many collectibles I haven't heard
of but war shield bibles are new to me.

War shield bibles were sent to soldiers from loved ones during WWII.
Metal plated, they were kept in the breast pocket to protect the heart.


Source
Catholic bibles also included a beautiful rosary.

The little information I could find on these unique
war-time collectibles indicated that most of the
shields were for small copies of the New Testament.

Source
I'll definitely keep my eyes open for one of these unusual
bibles while flea marketing.   Let me know if you spot one.

5 comments:

  1. Jan, I had no idea these were out there... My family is Catholic, and both my parents were in the Navy... I don't ever remember these being mentioned, but what a great find that would be.. I will keep my eyes open..
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Penny

    ReplyDelete
  2. A definite eye will be kept out looking for ones of those, a real treasure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of these but it is so wonderful to find out about. I've been thrifting my whole life and have never ran across one. I too WILL keep my eye open. WOW
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are wonderful, two types of protection there.

    Diana

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful item to collect, and such a sweet gift for the soldiers. Thanks for teaching me something new!

    ReplyDelete